DEYİMLER - IDIOMS 2

To get back : dönmek (She got back from London two days ago.)

To get on / off: vasıtaya binmek / inmek (The old woman could not get on the bus.) ( She got off at the wrong bus-stop)

To get ready: hazırlamak, hazır olmak, hazırlanmak (Can you get the tea ready in five minutes?) (Get ready for big surprise!)( Get ready soon, I am waiting for you.)

Come on: haydi (Come on I cannot wait for you all day long.)

At first: ilk önce, önce at last: nihayet, sonunda at all : hiç katiyen (olumsuz cümlelerde daima cümle sonunda kullanılır.) at once: derhal at present, for the time being: şimdilik ( At first I could not recognize you.) (At last the thief was arrested.) ( I am not exhausted at all) ( Our teacher told him to go out at once.) ( At present, we don?t need another secretary.)

At least: en az, en aşağı (I should sleep at least eight hours a day.)

Little by little: azar azar, yavaş yavaş ( you can pay your debt little by little.)

More or less: aşağı yukarı ( It is a three hour journey more or less)

For weeks/ days / years / ages / months: haftalardır, günlerdir? ( I haven?t seen you for ages.)

By myself/ yourself / himself / herself / themselves?: kendi kendime ?. ( I wrote the essay by myself.)

To catch cold: soğuk almak, üşütmek ( I caught cold at the football match yesterday.)

By mistake: yanlışlıkla, bilmeden ( He got on the wrong bus by mistake.)

If I am not mistaken, : yanılmıyorsam ( I think this is your son if I am not mistaken)

One by one / two by two: birer birer, ikişer ikişer ( You can carry the chairs two by two.)

On foot: yaya olarak, yürüyerek ( No, I did not take a taxi, I came here on foot.)

All day long: bütün gün, gün boyunca (She slept all day long.)

By hand: elden, el ile ( Don?t post this letter, take it to the office by hand.)

All the time: sürekli ( She sleeps in class all the time.)

To be afraid of: bir şeyden korkmak ( Are you afraid of dogs?) (I am afraid of walking in the dark.)

To be angry with: kızmak, darılmak ( Don?t be angry with me!)

To be tired of: bıkmak (He is tired of doing the same job for years.)

To be about to: yapmak üzere olmak (The train is about to leave the station.)

If necessary: gerekirse (I can come earlier if necessary.)

In ink, in pencil: mürekkeple, kurşun kalemle (Don?t write in pencil, this is an official letter.)

To make money: para kazanmak, para yapmak ( He made alot of money in Canada.)

make something out of something : bir şeyden para kazanmak (How easy is it to make money

out of gardening?)

To make friends: arkadaş edinmek, arkadaş olmak (I cannot make friends easily)

To make room for: yer açmak ( Please make room for the new comers.)

To make use of: istifade etmek, değerlendirmek (You can make use of my office all day long.)

(Try to make good use of your time.)

What is the matter?: Ne var? Ne oluyor? Ne oldu?

To ask for: istemek, talep etmek (The old man asked for a cup of tea.)

To be used to Noun /Ving : alışık olmak ( I am used to living in Ankara) ( I am not used to cold weather)

To get used to Noun/Ving: alışmak (You will get used to his strange sense of humor) ( You got used to driving your new car.)

Every other day: gün aşırı (We have English classes every other day.)

For ever: ebediyen, ilelebet (You cannot stay this small town forever.)

By day, by night: gündüzleyin, geceleyin (We travelled by night, and spend a lot of time on different beautiful beaches by day.)

From time to time: zaman zaman, arada sırada (From time to time he goes fishing.)

One after another: birbirinin peşinden, arka arkaya (She typed all the letters one after another)

On one?s way to: yolu üzerinde, yolunda (She ran into her teacher on her way to school.)

Any longer: artık, daha uzun süre (always with negative sentences) (He does not smoke any longer.)

Face to face: karşı karşıya, yüz yüze (You should discuss your problems with the teacher face to face.)

As soon as possible: mümkün olduğu kadar çabuk ( Please deliver my order as soon as possible.)

To go with: uymak, gitmek (A green tie goes well with your shirt.)

In other words: başka bir deyişle ( Your exam paper is not satisfactory. In other words, you failed.)

Day by day, week by week?: günden güne haftadan haftaya (The patient is getting better day by day.)

Day -to-day: günlük, bir günlük (The program was scheduled day-to-day basis.)

As a rule: genellikle ( As a rule, I g oto bed early.)

To go bad: bozulmak, çürümek ( Food in refrigerator does not go bad easily.)

I haven’t seen you for ages. Seni uzun zamandır görmedim.

Shouldn’t you be at work now? Şimdi işte olman gerekmez mi?

Haven’t we met before? Daha önce tanışmamış mıydık?

Bad language : küfür (No bad language in the class.)

For nothing: bedava (The renowned author stayed in our hotel for nothing)

To run over : ezmek, üzerinden geçmek ( Many drivers run over rabbits at night on purpose.)

It’s about time : bir şeyi yapmanın tam zamanı, zamanı geldide geçiyor (It?s about time you

cleaned your room!)

In peace: barış içinde rahat, huzurlu (The children did not leave their mother in peace)

Turn on/off the tap/ faucet: musluğu açmak, musluğu kapatmak( I cannot turn on the tap because it is tight)

To do someone’s best: elinden geleni yapmak ( I did my best to teach him Math.)

As well: keza, -de, -da ( I will learn German as well.)

By heart: ezbere (Henry knows a lot of poem by heart.)

The big cheese: önemli kişi ( David has been promoted recently, now he is the big cheese at work.)

To boss around: patronluk taslamak, buyurgan tavırla konuşmak ( I am tired of his bossing me around .)

At all costs: her ne pahasına olursa olsun, ne yapıp yapıp (You must obtain a copy of the report in question at all costs.)

Flatter, butter up: yağ çekmek Flatterer: yağcı (The student is flattering his teacher to get a good mark.)

To pull strings for somebody: torpil yapmak (If you need the documents urgently, I can pull strings for you.)

To look like: benzemek andırmak ( My friend looks like his father.)

Second -hand: kullanılmış, ikinci el (Are the second-hand cameras economical?)

To be over: bitmek (Finally, the boring lesson is over.)(The second world war was over in 1945.)

Out-of- date: modası geçmiş (His teaching methods are out of date

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder